Pages

Tuesday 21 February 2012

My Mother's Christmas present


Mum has always wanted a patchwork quilt.

I found this out when I was looking on her bookshelf for something to borrow and came across a quilting book. She said that she would never be able to make one now, but would have loved to.

A little while later, whilst talking to my dear friend Clare, she revealed that she had made her mum a quilt for her birthday. That got me inspired to do mums.



It's the disappearing 9 patch pattern, made from Moda charm packs. It is a quilt-as-you-go design, which means that I made 30 individual complete quilt blocks which I then sashed together before binding.

I would say it was a labour of love, but I don't think that's quite accurate! I hated it to start with, but the more I quilted, the more I fell in love with it and I was quite emotional once I'd finished.

Now mum has her quilt. She spent years going to antique quilt auctions and coming away empty handed. She says she loves this and couldn't have chosen better colours or pattern, but it's even better because I made it too!



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

8 comments:

  1. Awww how beautiful! My mum has just taught herself to knit and wants to make this big patchwork blanket of different types of yarns... I'll probably end up picking up the pieces lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! You definitely should! I love helping mum finish off her projects, it feel like a collaboration! :-)

      Delete
  2. Beautiful. I tried patchwork but couldn't get to grips with it, so I'm totally in awe of anyone who can manage it. A very special gift for your mother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Maybe try quilt-as-you-go? It's like quilting in Bitesize pieces!

      Delete
  3. wow wow wow look at it. A perfect resting place for an amazing labour of love x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Clare! It's all because of you, you know ;-) I thought I'd get an action shot seeing as my original pictures were really bad quality! Lol

      Delete
  4. Beautiful, what a wonderful gift to receive :-)

    ReplyDelete